(shamelessly stolen from The Silver Palate Cookbook from long ago)
By popular request, here's my recipe for the Molasses Cookies that I have brought to thousands of quilt guild functions over the years. They are easy, very tasty, and once you buy a jar of molasses, you will always have the ingredients on hand.
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter, add sugar and molasses and mix thoroughly. Lightly beat egg and add to butter mixture, blend well.
3. Sift flour with spices, salt and baking soda, and add to first mixture, mix. Batter will be wet.
4. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Drop teaspoonfuls of cookie batter on foil, leaving 2 inches between cookies. They will spread during baking.
5. Bake until cookies start to darken, 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven while still soft. Let cool on parchment paper.